Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Gourmet in me…


I am a foodie. I am amused at how by mixing the same ingredients, you can create a different genre of food every time. Even though I do not enjoy cooking much; I love cooking non-vegetarian. Anything else would hardly make me go weak in knees as much as the chicken Frankie and rolls and fish curry. This made me to account few of the Indian delicacies which I had two years ago when I was on one awesome journey to explore the rustic India. I need not praise more; how scrumptious and flavorsome Indian food is. It’s already popular amongst people in the West and European countries. At last, every Indian would be in agreement with me on this. So here are the few amongst many in the menu of Indian cuisine.

1.    Maharashtra

Maharashtra, being my home state, I have grown-up having all the maharashtrain food, which is really healthy, and spicy? Well talk about spiciness and you have your tongue dancing after few seconds of having few chutneys and mutton curry. But if you the first-time visitor, here’s what you should try:

Puranpoli
Thalipeeth
Vada pao
“Varan-bhaat” (dal and rice) with lemon juice and pure ghee
Mumbai’s street pav-bhaji and pulao

2.      Goa

I had been to Goa just after my twelfth exams, with my CA coaching class trip. Beaches though not that beautiful now, were the influence for having hot and fresh fish curry. Goan fish curry is one of my favorites.

Vindaloo
Stir fried fish curry.

3.    Karnataka

Though I did not get a chance to particularly roam and eat kannadiga dishes, they were served on train. Dosa is easily available now-a-days and hence I am not referring to it as special food one should try when visiting the state.

Bisi bele bhaat
Mysore paak amongst sweet

4.       Kerala
Kerala is scenic as well as rustic. I have visited Kerala twice. And both the times I had sweet tasting coconut water with the coconut being almost the size of one huge watermelon.
Payasam is another dish
Organic coffee

5    Tamilnadu
With kannyakumari at its tip there’s a variety of food available like as the water. The confluence of Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal and the Indian ocean.  Our train was halted at the Chetpet station for a day and was leaving late at 11pm from Chennai; I had Chicken chettinada in one of the shops on rail junction itself. Super tasty and filling. It would have been difficult for me if it wouldn’t be for one of friends to communicate with the shopkeeper. He wouldn’t understand my actions to give only the chicken curry and two rotis. Pongal was served for breakfast on train and rassam bhaat for dinner.

6.       Andrapradesh
When I think about Andrapradesh, all that comes to my mind is primarily the Nizams and fantastic delicacies they prepared. One of the best places to have biryanis in India. My friend who lives in Hyderabad was to leave the train as she had her doctorate exams in few days since then. And she was so generous to get me pack of Hyderabadi biryani from “Bavarchi’s”. The three main all time preferred places for biryanis’ in Hyderabad: - Bavarchi, Paradise and Baadshah. Though, any place you go in Hyderabad has the tastiest biryani ever made. Like literally. I have had it from the station shop the next year I went and also dared to have hyderabadi Pani Puri from the most unhygienic places one would dare to eat- immediately outside the station from the thellas. Lucky I took preventive medicines throughout my journey.


7.       West Bengal
During our travelling through Jamshedpur we were served Mishit doi - a sweet which a true Bengali would have it like crazy!

8.       Uttar-Pradesh
What more than the appetizing and aromatic lucknowi pulav and kebabs, biryanis’ and lucknowi chaat! We don’t get chaats’ like here in Maharashtra. May it be Mumbai then! I still remember   two of my friends had gone on a side trip on their own and while coming back got our group haldiram's dahi and lassi! Wonderful!

9.       Delhi
Delhi, being the capital city, one will find every type of cuisine there. Though chaat again is a specialty. People in Maharashtra are now gaining to know about preparing chaat and all. They try but it’s far from what the authentic chaat would taste like. For e.g., they say “bhel-puri” but there’s no “puri” only except in Mumbai.

10.   Rajasthan
Daal-baati is the plate you should look for in the menu. Actually you need not. It’s omnipresent in Rajasthan.  The most amazing part is when the ghee vessel is almost turned upside down! I didn’t like it much but anyways! And paani puri! Original place for puchkas’.


11.   Gujarat
Ah, Gujarat! This becomes my native place if you literally go by the meaning of “native”. Gujarati food is included in my daily meal as much as Maharashtrian food is included. And I love it nonetheless.

Khandvi
Handwo
Phaphda-chutney (normally papaya chutney goes awesomely with phaphdas)
Daal dhokli is again one of my favorite
And paani puri. When I am in Ahmedabad or Baroda or jaiselpur/jaitalmer, paani-puri is the only food I live on. Unlike here in Maharashtra, the paani-puri wala bhaiyya counts on the number of puris and not as per one plate. And its all the more fun having them with friends when we have competitions with each other.
Havmor’s ice creams are the ones you should not miss.
Ice-golas near law garden and ice-cream fares in the night in Rajkot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment